Kanchanaburi hotels and travel guide, Thailand. Hotel reservation for Kanchanaburi, River Kwai, Erawan Water fall.

larger text smaller
Attractions in Kanchanaburi

Historical Sites
Ancient Town of Kanchanaburi
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Located in Tambon Ancient Town of Kanchanaburi
Ancient Town of Kanchanaburi
Lat Ya between Km. 2 - 3 on Highway 3199 off Highway 323. It used to be a border outpost confronting Burmese armies arriving through the Three Pagodas Pass since the Ayutthaya through Rattanakosin Periods (ca. 1548 - 1784). Mounds of the rectangular earthen wall measuring 167 x 355 sq.m. and four corner fortresses still remain to be seen. Ancient monuments within its vicinity include: Wat Pa Lelai, known locally as Wat Pha Ok and built in the Ayutthaya Period. The Mondop - a square building - once enshrined a seated Buddha image in the gesture of subduing Mara, which was drilled through the chest - 'Pha Ok' in Thai. An image of the Buddha receiving offerings from a monkey and an elephant known as 'Palilayaka' - Pa Lelai - was later constructed to replace the former one. Remains of architecture within the temple include Mondop, Wihan and round brick Chedi with clay mortar and cement coating. Wat Khun Phaen, from the side entrance of Wat Pa Lelai toward the training camp of the Faculty of Engineering, Chulalongkorn University, this is an abandoned temple built in the Ayutthaya Period. The complex included Phra Prang, which was the principal building of the temple, remains of which are still to be seen, Phra Ubosot, directional and satellite Chedis, and Wihan.

Wat Mae Mai, built in the Ayutthaya Period and located some 300 meters to the east of Wat Khun Phaen. There are 2 groups of architectural remains. The remains in the north include a large round Chedi situated on a plinth and rectangular west-facing Wihan. The remains in the south include a medium-scale east-facing Wihan, satellite Chedis and rectangular boundary wall, with a so-called 'Sa Lang Kraduk' or 'bone-washing' pond in between. Ruins of Wat Nang Phim or Wat Kanchanaburi Kao are located nearby.

Ancient monuments within its vicinity include:
Wat Pa Lelai, known locally as Wat Pha Ok and built in the Ayutthaya Period. The Mondop a square building once enshrined a seated Buddha image in the gesture of subduing Mara, which was drilled through the chest – 'Pha Ok in Thai. An image of the Buddha receiving offerings from a monkey and an elephant known as 'Palilayaka' - Pa Lelai - was later constructed to replace the former one. Remains of architecture within the temple include Mondop, Wihan and round brick Chedi with clay mortar and cement coating.

Wat Khun Phaen, from the side entrance of Wat Pa Lelai toward the training camp of the Faculty of Engineering, Chulalongkorn University, this is an abandoned temple built in the Ayutthaya Period. The complex included Phra Prang, which was the principal building of the temple, remains of which are still to be seen, Phra Ubosot, directional and satellite Chedis, and Wihan.

Wat Mae Mai, built in the Ayutthaya Period and located some 300 meters to the east of Wat Khun Phaen. There are 2 groups of architectural remains. The remains in the north include a large round Chedi situated on a plinth and rectangular west-facing Wihan. The remains in the south include a medium-scale east-facing Wihan, satellite Chedis and rectangular boundary wall, with a so-called ‘Sa Lang Kraduk’ or ‘bone-washing’ pond in between.

How to get there
Located in Tambon Lat Ya between Km. 2 – 3 on Highway 3199 off Highway 323

Opening Hours Daily 24 hours
Admission Free
Hotels Hotels in Lat Ya Area
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Thanks to several The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Bridge on the River Kwai
films and books, the Bridge on the River Khwae has become notoriously famous and attracted both Thais and foreigners to the site. If an ordinary black iron bridge can tell a story, you can be sure it's a dramatic one.

The bridge spans across Maenam Khwae Yai which is a branch of Maenam Mae Klong. During the Japanese occupation of Thailand in World War II, the Japanese Imperial Army brought the iron bridge from Java. It was then reassembled by Allied Prisoners of War (POW) under Japanese supervision. The bridge was part of a strategic railway route to Myanmar in which the Japanese aimed to secure supplies with which to conquer other western Asian countries. It was 415 kilometers long (about 303 kilometers in Thailand and about 112 kilometers in Burma) and passed through the Three Pagoda Pass in Sangkhlaburi District, the northern most part of Kanchanaburi province. Construction started on September 16, 1942 at Nong Pladuk, and was completed on 25 December 1943. It is estimated that over 16,000 POWs from England, Australia, Holland and America died while building the bridge which was a target of bombing raids in 1945. In addition to this, approximate 90,000 laborers from Thailand, Myanmar, Malaysia and Indonesia died during its construction.

Rebuilt after WWII, the bridge is still in use today with the curved portions of the bridge being that of the original. An attraction of note is the annual light and sound event at the bridge to commemorate the Allied attack in 1945. The railway currently ends at Ban Tha Sao or Namtok Station, a distance of some 77 km. from Kanchanaburi Station. A special train running from Bangkok to Namtok Station is available on weekends and national holidays.

How to get there
Kanchanaburi Town is located 128 kms to the west of Bangkok. Regular buses ply the route from Southern Bus Terminal in Bangkok. Both air condition and non air condition buses are available throughout the day for the three hour journey. Train services from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi starts from Bangkok Noi Railway Station. Those with own vehicles may use the newly constructed expressway from Pinklao.

Opening Hours 08.00 am. – 06.30 pm.
Admission Free
Contact Tel. 0 3451 1778, 0 3451 5208
Hotels Hotels near River Kwai Area
Phong Tuk Archaeological Site
Location : Amphoe Tha Maka
Phong Tuk Archaeological Site It is believed that this site was the location of an ancient city of the Dvaravati Period with an influence of the Gupta School of Indian Art dating around the 6th - 7th century A.D. From the Fine Arts Department’s discovery, they found lots of Dvaravati antiques at Phong Tuek in 1927 such as Roman bronze lamp, Buddhist terra-cotta plaques, Naraya or Visnu image carved from stone, and other Buddha images. Later in 1934, Dr. Wales, a representative of the Antique Studies Association from India, came to explore and excavate more at Phong Tuek and proved that a civilized ancient city used to be placed here around a thousand years ago. Nowadays, some pieces of the found artifacts are kept in Wat Dong Sak and others are kept at the National Museum in Bangkok. To get there, the site is about 37 km. south from Kanchanaburi.

How to get there
From Bangkok, take Highway 323 until you notice the direction sign on the left at Km. 92-93 leading the way to Boran Sathan Phong Tuek. After crossing Chantharubeksa Bridge, pass Wat Dong Sak on your left then go straight on until you get to the Phong Tuek police kiosk on the right. The Boran Sathan Phong Tuek is next to the police kiosk.

Opening Hours Daily from 09.00 am. - 05.00 pm.
Admission Free
Ban Don Chedi Archaeological Site
Location : Amphoe Phanom Thuan
Situated in Ban Don Chedi, the site was found by the Fine Arts Department when an excavation revealed important remains such as ancient swords, elephant jaw bones, human skeletons and an Ayutthaya-style Chedi. From the findings, most historians believe that the site was the killing field where a Yutthatthi battle took place.

How to get there
From Bangkok, take Highway No. 323 to the intersection of Tha Muang, turn right 2 Kilometers have to The signs of Don Chedi about 11 kilometers and then have to drive into the area behind Wat Thung Samo School.

Opening Hours Daily 24 hours
Admission Free
Prasat Muang Sing Historical Park
Location : Amphoe Sai Yok
Prasat Muang Prasat Muang Sing Historical Park
Prasat Muang Sing Historical Park
Singh is a Khmer town in Kanchanaburi province. It is around 45 kilometers from Kanchanaburi city. Built around the 12th century on the Khwae Noi River, the site was most likely an outpost of the Khmer ‘Muang Singh’ empire that protected the Khmer frontier. It was also likely a centre for trade. Built of laterite, it is a large place around 30 acres and is not as well preserved as other Khmer sites in Thailand, despite being restored.

There are 4 mains groups of ruins and only the main buildings and some smaller buildings are fully visible. Prasat Muang Singh is the main shrine and the central focal point of the site. The site is though littered with smaller shrines containing various artifacts (some reproductions) and there a couple of museums.

The museums provide evidence of the area’s inhabitation before the arrival of the Khmer and examples of bronze utensils and tools dating from the Neolithic era. This is a great place to wander around - the grounds are tidy and attractive with trees and flowers, and although there are restaurants and stalls, the site has a very authentic, non-commercial feel about it - worth a visit.

How to get there
You can get to the site by train. The journey takes an hour and the fare is 10 Baht. Trains leave at 06.10 am., 10.54 am. and 02.25 pm. and you should head to Tha Kilen. You will probably be best taking a Tuk-Tuk from the station to the site.

Opening Hours Daily from 08.00 am. - 04.30 pm.
Admission 100 Baht/person (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 3452 8456 - 7
Religious Sites
Wat Chai Chumphon Chana Songkhram
Wat Chai Chumphon Chana Songkhram
Wat Chai Chumphon Chana Songkhram
Location : Amphoe Mueang
The temple, also called Wat Tai, is located along the river Mae Klong in Kanchanaburi town and next to the JEATH War Museum, therefore there is also some tourists here. The temple buildings are huge and at the time of our visit the venerable abbot of the temple Phra Thamkunapon had just passed away. There is also some old gates and old temple buildings with beautiful stucco work on the compound. The JEATH war museum is a replica of the bamboo huts which housed the prisoners of war during the occupation. "JEATH" stands for Japan, England, Australia/America, Thailand and Holland.

How to get there
The temple is by the river on Pak Praek Road and can be reached by bicycle from the guesthouse area.

Opening Hours 08.00 am. - 05.00 pm.
Wat Tham Khao Noi
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Wat Tham Khao Noi is located near Wat Tham Suea. It was constructed on the hill and decorated in Chinese style. Going up the hill is rewarding as you can see panoramic view of the city.

How to get there
Travel from Tha Mung District. Go along irrigation canal Wat Tham Sua and Wat Tham Khao Noi. Away from the Mae Klong Dam about 5 kilometers past the entrance to the temple at Mae Klong Dam. Then there are signs about 2 kilometers turn right wait noticed the signs and pagodas.

Opening Hours 08.00 am. - 05.00 pm.
Wat Tham Khao Pun
Location : Amphoe Mueang
The limestone hills surrounding Kanchanaburi are famous for their temple caves, an underground communion of animistic spirit worship and traditional Buddhism. Winding arteries burrow into the guts of the caves past bulbous calcium deposits and altars for reclining or meditating Buddhas, surrounded by offerings from pilgrims. Wat Tham Khao Pun is one of the closest cave temples, and is best reached by bicycle.

How to get there
The temple is about 4 kilometers from the TAT office and 1km southwest of the Chung Kai cemetery across the railroad tracks and midway up the hill.

Opening Hours 08.00 am. - 05.00 pm.
Wat Tham Mungkornthong
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Situated 5 kilometers Wat Tham Khao Pun
Wat Tham Khao Pun
from town, the splendid temple is located in a cave which is only assessable via steps flanked by dragon carvings on both sides. The temple is well known for the incredible performance of a nun floating on the surface of a deep pool. A small museum displaying a variety of ancient objects found in the area is located nearby.

How to get there
The temple is about 7 kilometers from the town center and is best visited by motorcycle. Bus No. 8191 runs past the temple from Kanchanaburi every 30 minutes and takes 20 minutes.

Opening Hours 08.00 am. - 05.00 pm.
Wat Tham Phu Wa
Location : Amphoe Mueang
The compound which is set in natural surroundings is situated approximately 15 kilometers away from the city. The temple is famous for meditation courses. In addition, there is a beautiful cave with plenty of stalactites that is worth a visit.

How to get there
Route 1: Get the path to Kanchanaburi - Ban Kao, and then turn left Km.16 along route Phu Pradu - Wang Lan about 6 kilometers you will reach the junction.
Route 2: Traveled through the Thum Kao Pun Cave and Princess Srinakarin Park, then turn right at the area between 49-48 Km. Along Route Phu Pradu - Wang Lan about 5 kilometers.

Opening Hours 08.00 am. - 05.00 pm.
Wat Thawornwararam
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Thawornwararam Wat Ban Tham
Wat Ban Tham
Temple is a Chinese Mahayana Buddhist temple. The temple has a picturesque pagoda and statue of the Laughing Buddha by the river. There are also unusual eleven-headed fish guarding one of the buildings.

How to get there
The temple is on Prasit Road, next to Wat Nua and within walking distance of the guesthouse area.

Opening Hours 08.00 am. - 05.00 pm.
Wat Ban Tham
Location : Amphoe Tha Muang
Wat Ban Tham is a cave temple beside the Khwae Noi river. The temple features a long staircase leading into a dragon's mouth. Inside the dragon's head are murals depicting scenes from the classic Thai novel Khun Chang Khun Phaen, particularly the scene where Khun Phaen murders the preganant Nang Buakhli to make a Guman Thong spirit helper from her unborn baby. There is a stone shaped like Nang Buakhli inside the cave as well as a statue of the Guman Thong.

The cave has a metal gate which may be locked if the temple staff are elsewhere. Normally, Thai visitors are shown up some stairs (shoes off inside the cave) and up the hill to receive a blessing from a monk at a small shrine.

How to get there
The temple is about 10 km from the town center and can be reached by motorcycle.

Opening Hours 08.00 am. - 05.00 pm.
Wat Tham Suea
Location : Amphoe Tha Muang
The temple is Wat Tham Suea
Wat Tham Suea
built in a mixed, splendid Thai-Chinese style and enshrines a huge Buddha image. Visible from far away, the temple features an impressive Buddha statue and chedi on the top of a hill. The Buddha statue, seated in the posture of giving blessings, is covered with gold mosaic and protected by an unusual shell-like structure. The huge chedi, 69 meters high and 29 meters wide, is hollow. A staircase inside the building leads up to the top. Each level has rows of Buddha statues and multiple windows from which photos can be taken of the statue below set against a backdrop of rice paddies and mountains.

There are also footprints of the Buddha and an ancient pond on the hill. Behind the chedi is the Chinese pagoda of the adjacent Wat Khao Noi.

How to get there
About 4 kilometers off Maeklong Dam and turn left for 200 meters or about 20km from the town center and can be reached by motorcycle.

Opening Hours 08.00 am. - 05.00 pm.
Wat Thung Samo
Location : Amphoe Phanom Thuan
The major attraction is a big Kuan Yin statue. Thai and foreign tourists come here everyday to pay respect to the Kuan Im image, Phra Sangkatchai and the Buddha image in the ordination hall of Wat Thung Samo.

How to get there
The temple located approximately 15 kilometers from the city can be on U-Thong Road via Highway No. 324.

Opening Hours 08.00 am. - 05.00 pm.
Wat Phra Thaen Dong Rang
Location : Amphoe Tha Maka
Is an Three Pagodas Pass
Three Pagodas Pass
old Buddhist temple where there is a sacred stone base to have with illness before his death. A great fair to pay homage to the revered stone is held at the middle of the fourth lunar month of every year.

How to get there
The temple which is situated approximately 10 kilometers from Tharua Market, or some 40 kilometers

Opening Hours 05.00 am. - 05.00 pm.
Wat Pa Luangta Bua Yanasampanno (Tiger Temple)
Location : Amphoe Sai Yok
This is a meditation temple surrounded by forested area. Various kinds of animals live together freely in the nature such as barking deer, deer, hog, gibbon, peafowl, red jungle fowl, horse, water buffalo, goat, etc. Wildlife of different species will be seen living together in peace and being friendly to the monks and visitors.

How to get there
The temple is 37 kilometers far from Kanchanaburi on highway no. 323. You could take the Kanchanaburi-Sangkhlaburi public bus and get off at Km. 21 on the main road. Then walk about 2 kilometers from the main road to the temple.

Opening Hours 08.30 am. - 15.45 pm.
Contact Tel. 0 3453 1557 (Wat Pa Luangta Bua Yanasampanno Foundation )
Chedi Bo-ong
Location : Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
Chedi Bo-ong is an ancient chedi built in Burmese’s style. It is located on the hill surrounded by the swamp. Every year, on the full moon night of the 4th lunar month, a lot of people come to worship this sacred place. Getting there, take a boat at Ban Ta Pae, Thong Phpoom District to Ban Bo-ong.

Administered by Khao Laem National Park, Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
Three Pagodas Pass
Location : Amphoe Sangkhla Buri
Wat Wang Wiwekaram
Wat Wang Wiwekaram
This pass is located approximately 240 kilometers from the city or 22 kilometers from Sangkhla Buri. This rugged Thai-Burmese border was once a strategic military route for both the Thai and Burmese; however, it is currently a small border market. The three miniature pagodas are memorials to the traditional invasion route favored by Burmese soldiers during the Ayutthaya period (1350-1767). Visitors wishing to visit Myanmar are advised to obtain a pass, which allows visitors to visit Burmese settlements from Sangkhla Buri Immigration Office.

How to get there
The end of the Thai border in the west is located in Tambon Nong Lu on Highway 323, about 4 km. before getting to Amphoe Sangkhla Buri. Turn into the intersection on your right and continue for 18 km. to get to the Three Pagodas Pass. All routes are asphalted.

Opening Hours 08.00 am. - 06.00 pm. depending on the political situation.
Admission 30 Baht/person (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 3459 0105, 0 3459 5335
Wat Wang Wiwekaram
Location : Amphoe Sangkhla Buri
is the home of Luangpho Uttama, a monk much revered by the Thanis and Mons, including the Karen people and the Burmese living in the region. On the riverbank, within the Buddhist assembly hall there is an elegant marble image of the Buddha called Luangpho Khao. Under a mile from the temple itself is the Buddha Gaya Chedi, which contains relics of the Lord Buddha’s right thumb. The Burmese influence is keenly felt here, and near the pagoda there are many shops selling native Burmese products, including furniture and clothing.

How to get there
The wat is around 2 kilometers from the centre of town if you go via the wooden bridge or 5 kilometers if you go via the concrete bridge. By the wooden bridge, follow the road after the bridge until you reach a T junction. Turn left then continue until the intersection where you turn right for the wat and left for the chedi. From the centre of town a motorbike taxi.

Opening Hours 08.00 am. - 05.00 pm.
Monuments
Somdet Phra Naresuan Maharat Monument
Location : Amphoe Phanom Thuan
The site, which is located close to Don Chedi Archaeological site, was built using money donated by locals to honor the victory of King Naresuan the Great over the Crown Prince of Burma.
Museums
World War II & Jeath War Museum
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Somdet Phra Naresuan Maharat Monument
Somdet Phra Naresuan Maharat Monument
The private sector Museum that collects lots of World War II Stories, such as war instruments, photographs, uniforms, etc. It is located on the bank of Kwai River nearby the Bridge on the River Kwai. Inside the building is also an Art Gallery on 2nd and 3rd floor. The paintings on the second floor relate ancient battles between the Thais and Burmese, while third-floor murals tell Thai history and provide portraits of prime ministers and other important political figures. This private museum also features Khmer-style woodcarvings, a pair of elaborate Burmese Buddhas, and excellent paintings of Chinese deities.

How to get there
This well-signposted complex is located about 50 meters from the The Bridge on the River Kwai.

Opening Hours 07.00 am. - 06.30 pm.
Admission 40 Baht/person (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 3451 2596, 0 3451 3478
Ban Kao National Museum
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Ban Kao National Ban Kao National Museum
Ban Kao National Museum
Museum A small Tambon (sub-district) located on the bank of the Kwai Noi River approximately 35 kilometers from the city is a site where some ancient Stone Age tools were found. In addition, a Neolithic burial site was discovered by the Dutch Allied POW, Dr. Van Hickderen who was forced to build the Death Railway. The consequences of findings revealed that tambon Ban Kao was once a dwelling of prehistoric men. Some critical discoveries included skeletons of prehistoric men, tools made from gravel stone and axes. The Ban Kao Museum houses skeletal remains, pots, axe heads, jewelry made from animal bones, and other artifacts dating from that period.

How to get there
Approximately 35 km. from Kanchanaburi along Highway 323, turn left into Highway 3229 and turn right into Highway 3455 for about 3 km. Another 1 km. from the entrance at Wat Tha Po will lead to the first prehistoric site museum in Thailand

Opening Hours 09.00 am. - 04.30 pm. on Wednesday to Sunday and closed on Monday and Tuesday.
Admission 30 Baht/person (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 3465 4058
Kanchanaburi Cultural Centre
Location : Amphoe Mueang
The centre The JEATH War Museum
The JEATH War Museum
is located in the Rajabhat Institute of Kanchanaburi, 15 kilometers out of town on the route to Sai Yok. Within the centre is a collection of displays on human lifestyles from the past until the present.

How to get there
located within the compound of the Rajabhat Institute Kanchanaburi on Highway No. 323 - the route from Kanchanaburi to Sai Yok about 15 kilometers from town.

Opening Hours 08.30 am. - 04.30 pm. (Except Wednesday)
Admission Free
Contact Tel. 0 3463 3227 - 8 Ext. 650 (Art and Culture Center Kanchanaburi Rajabhat University)
The JEATH War Museum
Location : Amphoe Mueang
The name JEATH is derived from countries which engaged in the WWII death railway construction from 1942 to 1945, which included Japan, England, America, Australia, Thailand and Holland. Located in the area of Wat Chai Chumphon, the museum is a reconstruction of the POWs thatched detention hut with cramped, elevated bamboo bunks. On the wall of the huts, photographs and illustrations of the POWs living conditions are on display. POWs who survived from the camp have donated items to enhance the museums atmosphere and authenticity.

How to get there
The museum is inside Wat Chai Chumphon near the TAT office on Saeng Chuto Road and is accessible by Songtaew and Tuk-Tuk from the centre of town.

Opening Hours 08.30 am. - 06.00 pm.
Admission 30 Baht (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 3451 1263
Thailand-Burma Railway Centre Museum
Location : Amphoe Mueang
The Thailand-Burma Railway Centre is an interactive museum, information and research facility dedicated to presenting the history of the Thailand-Burma Railway. This ran 415 km from Ban Pong in Thailand to Thanbuyuzayat in Burma, and was built by the Imperial Japanese Army during the second World War using Allied prisoners of war and impressed Asian laborers. The Centre is fully air-conditioned and offers the visitor an educational and moving experience.

Opening Hours 09.00 am. - 05.00 pm.
Admission 100 Baht/person (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 3451 1721
Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum
Location : Amphoe Sai Yok
Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum
Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum
The Memorial Museum at the Hellfire Pass was built by the Office of Australian War Graves in a joint project between the Australian Government and the Royal Thai Armed Forces Development Command, following a request by the Australian former Prisoners of War (ex-POWs) to establish a site in memory of their "mates" who never returned home. The Hellfire Pass was chosen to be a historical place in the wake of a survey of the abandoned section of the railway undertaken by an Australian engineer who had assisted in the construction of the nearby Khao Laem Dam. The pass is one of the largest cuttings in Thailand and the most difficult section of the entire railway. In addition, it was a group of 400 Australian POWs who commenced work at the cutting on 25th April 1943. They were later supplemented by additional groups, consisting of 600 British and Australian POWs. At that time, the Japanese Army had brought together 61,700 allied POWs and nearly a hundred thousand of forced laborers to construct a railway from Thailand to Burma in a great hurry.

The Memorial Museum is a white one-storey building situated above the Hellfire Pass. It covers an area of about 200 sq.m. The exhibition is about WWII in Asia beginning with the first attack of Japan in 1941. The stories of the POWs' misery and the construction of the railway from Thailand to Burma are also exhibited via personal items of the POWs like letters, clothes and tools. There are also paintings revealing the life of the POWs, their suffering, their illness and the brutality they endured. The exhibition ends with the fact that Japan was defeated and that the POWs received freedom.

How to get there
The site is located in a thick forest near Km. 64-65 of the Sai Yok-Thong Pha Phum Road (Highway No. 323).

Opening Hours 09.00 am. - 04.00 pm.
Admission Free
Contact Tel. 0 3451 2410 (Kanchanaburi Office of Public Relation)
Markets
Ban E-Tong Market
Location : Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
This is an ancient market located in Tumbon Pilok of Thong Pha Phum District, near the Myanmar's border. An array of local products both from Thailand and Myanmar including processed food, fresh seafood, clothes are available at reasonable prices. Accommodations are also on offer here.
Public Parks
Somdet Phra Srinagarindra Park (Suan Hin)
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Somdet Phra Srinagarindra Park Situated in Kanchanaburi's Agricultural College at Tambon Nong Ya, 9 kilometers from town, it is also known as "the Stone Garden" which abounds with stones of different sizes and shapes.
Natural Attractions
Giant Rain Tree
Location : Amphoe Dan Makham Tia
The giant rain tree is more than 100 years old with a trunk large enough to be encircled by 10 people. The average radius of its crown is 25.87 meters and the diameter of its shadow is approximately 51.75 meters while the height of its canopy is 20 meters and the large shady crown covers a total area of approximately 2,416 sq.m.

How to get there
Grown on the way to Amphoe Dan Makham Tia at Ban Kasikam, Mu 5 Tambon Ko Samrong, some 3 km. from Wat Tham Mangkon Thong. Enter the Royal Thai Army's Division of Veterinary and Agriculture 1 via Wat Tham Muni Nat and turn right.

Opening Hours Daily 24 hours
Admission Free
Hotels Hotels in Dan Makham Tia Area
Khao Chang Phuak
Location : Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
Khao Chang Phueak
Khao Chang Phueak
Khao Chang Phuak is located within the Thong Pha Phum National Park ranges above sea level at 1,249 meters. Pha Phum’s highest peak of Chang Phuak is visible from here. it ranks as the 13th highest mountain in Kanchanaburi and the 341st highest mountain in Thailand. Adventurers can hike up to enjoy the splendid and amazing view all year round.

How to get there
Take the highway 323 (Kanchanaburi - Thong Pha Phum), before arrive Amphur Thong Pha Phum, there is an intersection to Amphur Sangkhla Buri. Take a left turns and follow the road for 40 km. to the Park Headquarters.

Administered by Thong Pha Phum National Park, Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
Admission 40 Baht/person (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 3453 2114
Khao Khad Viewpoint
Location : Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
Khao Khad Viewpoint closes to Jok Ka Din Waterfall. The highest elevation viewpoint from which we can admire panoramical surrounding forest and Jok Ka Din Waterfall.

Administered by Thong Pha Phum National Park, Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
Khao Yai Viewpoint
Location : Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
Besides, there is another attraction recently discovered, that is: Khao Yai. It is the vast area which is suitable for camping. At this time, the park is developing it to be the 2 days 1 night adventurous nature trail in the future.

Administered by Khao Laem National Park, Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
Hindad Hot Spring
Location : Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
The Hindad Hot Spring is set alongside a tree shaded, cool river. Built to contain plentiful quantities of hot water during World War 2 by the Japanese forces, the Hindad 3 pools are large enough for swimming and relaxing. With the cool stream of a natural river running just a few feet away, a quick dip from the hot to the cold waters completely relaxes every muscle in your body. Thai massage is also available on site for a minimal fee.
Km. 15 View Point
Location : Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
Located at Km. 15, Baanrai-Etong Road, the viewpoint is very near to the road, and has nicely cold air. Traveler can enjoy sceneries, for example, Khao Lam Reservoir, the very interesting scenery which is impressed by many visitors.

Administered by Thong Pha Phum National Park, Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
Nern Kud Doi
Location : Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
The view from Nern Kud Doi. The park joins up with forest in Burma (background) which eventually connects with Kaeng Krachan National Park in Phetchaburi. Named after the district in which it is located, this protected area, some 60km west of Thong Pha Phum town and close to the Burmese border, boasts a series of craggy karst mountains which offer breathtaking of a magnificent, wooded landscape once home to sawmills and tin mines.

Administered by Thong Pha Phum National Park, Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
Pom Pee Viewpoint
Location : Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
Pom Pee Viewpoint, with the area connected with Washiralongkorn Dam, you can clearly see the fantastic scenery of the reservoir and also the beautiful sunset. It is suitable for camping and many activities such as bird-watching, sailing, swimming etc. Campsite is available. It is located far from the park’s HQ about 2 km.

Administered by Khao Laem National Park, Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
Zoos
Kanchanaburi Safari Park
Location : Amphoe Bo Phloi
Kanchanaburi Safari Park
Kanchanaburi Safari Park
The Safari Park is located approximately 25 kilometers from town along the Kanchanaburi-Bo Phloi route. It is home to numerous African and Asian mammals, including giraffes, zebras, lions, tigers and bears that dwell in beautifully landscaped environs. Visitors can drive their private car to explore the park or use the bus service provided by the park.

How to get there
It is 40 km. from the town on Highway 3086 (Kanchanaburi-Bo Phloi). When getting to Km. 21, the direction sign to the safari park will be on the left

Opening Hours 09.00 am. - 05.00 pm.
Admission Adults 450 Baht, Child 250 Baht (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 3453 1888, 0 3453 1999, 0 3450 0089
Other Attractions
The Chong Kai War Cemetery
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Kanchanaburi War Cemetery (Don Rak)
Kanchanaburi War Cemetery (Don Rak)
Situated only 2 kilometers south of town on the bank of the Kwai Noi River, the cemetery occupies the site of the Chong Kai which once was the prisoner of war camp. Smaller in size, the cemetery attracts visitors to see its peaceful, well-designed landscape where 1,740 POWs rest in eternal peace.

How to get there
To get there, hire a tuk-tuk or moto-taxi

Opening Hours 09.00 am. - 05.00 pm.
Admission Free
Kanchanaburi War Cemetery (Don Rak)
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Kanchanaburi War Cemetery (Don Rak), located on Saeng Chu To Road (Highway 323) before reaching the provincial town. The immaculately maintained cemetery contains the remains of 6,982 Allied POWs who perished during the construction of the ‘Death Railway’. Its tranquility reminds the visitors of the war and its after-effects.

How to get there
The cemetery, which is located on Saengchuto Road(Highway 323), Amphoe Muang, opposite the Railway Station, just 1.5 kilometers from the TAT office.

Opening Hours 08.30 am. - 06.00 pm.
Admission 120 Baht (Price are subject to change)
Kanchanaburi City Gate
Location : Amphoe Mueang
An interesting site to see in the remains of Kanchanaburi town is the Gate which was built in 1831 during the reign of King Rama III. It is located on Lak Mueang Road near the meeting point of the Khwae Yai and Khwae Noi Rivers.
Prommitr Film Studio
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Prommitr Film Studio
Prommitr Film Studio
Located at Surasi Military Camp, Tambon Lat Ya, Amphoe Mueang Kanchanaburi, in Western Thailand, this studio was the location of the great historic film "The Legend of King Naresuan". This epic trilogy of historical movies reflects the relationship between the Siamese Kingdom of Ayutthaya and the Hongsawadi Kingdoms, which are located in present-day Burma. The events in the films lead up to the declaration of Ayutthaya's independence from the Burmese, by King Naresuan the Great, in 1584. Lavish and expensive, this production represents the pinnacle of Thai film-making.Within the 700-acre compound of wild land, magnificent buildings were created through meticulous historical research. Visitors can enjoy magnificent palace replicas and gleamingly gilded halls, pagodas, temples and ancient villages of both the Ayutthaya and Hongsawadi Kingdoms. One of the highlights from past Ayutthaya is Sanphet Prasat Palace, which has been left as a ruin due to Ayutthaya’s 2nd loss to Burma when everything was totally razed and burnt; at present only the brick foundations of this palace can be seen.

The Palace showcases the incomparable magnificence of the Ayutthaya Court. Other interesting highlights are the Weapons Storage Room, Hongsawadi Wall, the Lion Throne, the Dungeon, the Portuguese Gun Exhibit, Ayutthaya Wall, and the Props Storage Room. Visitors tired out by a long day of sightseeing may want to relax with a traditional Thai massage, which is available on-site. Furthermore, visitors can also enjoy various activities such as dressing in traditional historic costumes (a unique souvenir photo opportunity!), as well as horse, elephant and cart riding. The studio compound also includes souvenir shops. A pair of huge Singha statues (mythical lions mixed with other creatures) welcomes visitors at the entrance to the compound. A brochure and map, as well as a brief introductory lecture about the Studio are provided at the Information Centre where visitors pay the entrance fee. There are also guide lecturers stationed at various spots, and plasma screens giving historical background and describing scenes from the Naresuan films. The guided sightseeing walk takes approximately 2 hours.

How to get there
Prommitr Film Studio is about 24 kilometers away from Kanchanaburi Town. Take Route 3199 Kanchanaburi – Srinakarin Dam for 18 kilometers to Lat Ya Intersection. From there, take the right turn and continue past Surasi Military Camp for another 3 kilometers till you reach the studio entrance. Follow the signs for another 2 kilometers. Or take a song thaew (a pickup truck with two rows of bench seats down the sides) from Kanchanaburi Town to Lat Ya Intersection. From this intersection, visitors will have to set an appointment with a driver and negotiate the price.

Opening Hours 10.00 am. - 05.00 pm.
Admission 200 Baht/person (Price are subject to change)
ContactTel. 0 3453 2057 or 0 3453 2058 (Prommitr Film Studio Company)
The Nine-Army Battle Historical Park
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Established by the The Nine-Army Battle Historical Park
The Nine-Army Battle Historical Park
Royal Thai Army, the park is located at tambon Chong Sadao, approximately 40 kilometers from town on Highway No. 3199. It was built to commemorate the great battle under the command of King Rama I to defend the kingdom against the invasion by King Bodawpaya of Burma in 1795. Thais know this event under the name of the Nine-Army Battle. The park is a center for historical research and conservative tourism that also provides information on the great battle. A sand table displaying battlefields and diagrams depicting the battle strategy are on display.

How to get there
The park is located at tambon Chong Sadao, approximately 40 kilometers from town on Highway No. 3199.

Opening Hours Daily from 08.00 am. - 05.00 pm.
Admission Free
Contact Tel. 0 3458 9233-5 ext. 51015
The Death Railway
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Constructed during World War II, the Thailand to Burma railway is also known as the Death Railway. It is said that one man died for every sleeper that was laid on the track. The line was repaired and restored after the war and still runs passenger services as far as Nam Tok to the north of Kanchanaburi with the most famous section of the line being the Bridge over the River Kwai. The railway beyond Nam Tok is no longer in existence, but sections such as the infamous Hellfire Pass have been reclaimed and can be visited as part of a tour for those interested in the history of the railway and the part it played in the Second World War. For railway buffs, look out for the old locomotives that are in position outside Kanchanaburi train station and the River Kwai station.
Kirdkao Observatory
Location : Amphoe Bo Phloi
Kirdkao Observatory is situated in Tambon Lum Rang, Amphoe Bo Phloi. This is a place where you can gain knowledge about stars and nature. If you are interested in astronomy, you will love this. They have arranged a corner for star-watching, an observatory in a dome shape and accommodation in a capsule shape.

How to get there
From Bangkok, take Highway 323 and turn into Highway 3086 (Kanchanaburi-Bo Phloi). At Km 49, a direction sign of Air Marshal Samroeng Kirdkao’s farm is on your left. Turn left and keep on for 3 km.

Opening Hours 09.00 am. - 05.00 pm.
Admission Adult 50 Baht, Child 20 Baht, Foreigner 100 Baht (Price are subject to change)
Contact Captain Thakun Kirdkao at Tel. 08 1927 4140
Sai Yok Elephant Village
Location : Amphoe Sai Yok
Located at Mu 3 Ban Lum Phueng, Tambon Lum Sum and offering a 30 minut The Death Railway
The Death Railway
e nature trek on elephant and rafting. There is a daily elephant show during 8.00 a.m. - 4.00 p.m.

How to get there
From Kanchanaburi, take the Sai Yok - Thong Pha Phum route for some 30 minutes to around Km. 45, or a train and get off at Wang Pho Station.

Opening Hours 08.00 am. - 04.00 pm.
Admission 40 Baht/person (Price are subject to change)
Contact Tel. 0 3459 1255, 0 3459 1102, 08 1878 9979
Wang Pho Elephant Camp
Location : Amphoe Sai Yok
Located near Wang Pho Railway Station. Elephant shows, elephant riding and rafting are . provided for visitors.

How to get there
Take Highway 323 and turn into Highway 3343 for 7 km.

Opening Hours 08.00 am. - 06.00 pm.
Contact Tel. 0 3459 1018
Srinagarindra Dam
Location : Amphoe Si Sawat
Srinagarindra Dam
Srinagarindra Dam
Srinagarindra Dam It is the largest rock fill dam with a clay core in Thailand, situated on the Khwae Yai River, approximately 4 km. from Namtok Erawan in the north of the Khwae Yai River. We can take advantage of this multi-purpose dam in irrigation, flood damage relief in the Mae Klong Basin, electricity generation, and fishery. The place above the dam ridge is suitable for relaxation, as it has some attractive sights.

How to get there
Srinagarindra Dam is 70 km. from the provincial city on Highway 3177 (Kanchanaburi-Si Sawat).

Administered by Khuean Srinagarindra National Park, Amphoe Si Sawat
Opening Hours 08.00 am. - 06.00 pm.
Admission Free
Contact Tel. 0 2436 6046 - 8 (The Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT))
Nern Sao Thong
Location : Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
Nern Sao Thong is a mountain peak bordered Thailand and Burma which Thai Military stake a big flagstaff including a big Thai National Flag to show that this area is a border between Thailand and Burma. Therefore, this area is named Nern Sao Thong after the flagstaff (Sao thong means flagstaff). There are Thai Army and Border Police Officer giving security 24 hours a day, and allowed people to travel for enjoying the scenery and refreshing with nicely cold air. When standing there, traveler can see beautiful sceneries of both Thailand and Burma, and even Andaman Sea if the sky is clear.

Administered by Thong Pha Phum National Park, Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
Pilok Mine
Location : Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
There used to be tin and wolfram mines on the Tanao Si Range which forms a natural boundary between Thailand and Myanmar. On the way, visitors can stop at "Pilok Hill", about 32 km. from Thong Pha Phum where fruiting and decorative plants of the temperate zone are grown. There are numerous picturesque waterfalls nearby which are accessible by foot such as Namtok Chokkadin and Namtok Chet Mit. Visitors need to be careful because most of the routes are steep and winding.

How to get there
Located in Tambon Pilok some 70 km. to the west of Amphoe Thong Pha Phum along Highway 3272.

Opening Hours 08.00 am. - 06.00 pm.
Contact Tel. 0 3451 1200 , 0 3462 3691 (One hundred and thirty fifth Military Border Patrol Company)
Vajiralongkorn Dam
Location :Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
Vajiralongkorn Dam, formerly known as Khao Laem Dam. It is a rock fill dam with a reinforced concrete surface measuring 92 meters high. Its crest is 10 meters wide and 1,019 meters long stretching across the Khwae Noi River. It is a multi–purpose hydro–electric plant with natural beauty and a scenic lake where rafting boats for rent are available. There is also floating accommodation and cruising boats available 3 km. beyond the entrance to the dam. A boat trip on the lake with a stop at a coconut grove (Maphrao Kathi – a fleshy variety of coconut) on an island in the lake takes 1 hour from the dam. Advance bookings with the Thong Pha Phum District Office is required. Accommodation and boat (for group visitors) is provided.

How to get there
Located at Tambon Tha Khanun 153 km. from Kanchanaburi on Highway 323, 6 km. to the north of Amphoe Thong Pha Phum.

Administered by Khao Laem National Park, Amphoe Thong Pha Phum
Opening Hours Daily 24 Hours
Admission Free
Contact Tel. 0 3459 9077 ext. 2502 and 2506, 0 3459 8030 (The Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT)
Mon Bridge
Location : Amphoe Sangkhla Buri
Mon Bridge
Mon Bridge
It is the longest wooden bridge in Thailand linking Sangkhlaburi and Mon Villages. The bridge overlooks a scenic landscape and offers and opportunity to see local people's way of life.

How to get there
Traveling approximately 200 kilometers from Kanchanaburi city area, along the highway number 323, you will reach Taungpaapoom district. Then, turn right at the T-junction and continue for 74 kilometers.
Mon Tribal Village
Location : Amphoe Sangkhla Buri
The Mon Tribal Village is a small ethnic village in the Kanchanaburi province. It has become a major tourist attraction and many tourist companies include this quaint village on the itinerary of their package. The village is populated by the Mon tribe who lead a simple way of life. Theirs is a relatively friendly tribe and have been exposed to outside cultures thanks to the constant influx of foreigners who come here for touring. One can view several tribal presentations, which include Mon dance routines and delicious village food is also on offer. The village tour can be done in half a day time but there are facilities available even if one wants to stay overnight. Small shacks and comfortable abodes are offered for minimal charges.